Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Sally" - Johnny Flynn & The Sussex Wit

Stealing this from someone very wise, someone I shall blog about tomorrow.  It is true; we aesthetics are cursed with the plague of mixing up our senses.  Sure, that doesn't sound too bad, I mean we're super deep, right?  Right!  And lo!  Here are my daily mix-ups as pointed out to me by a special person.


Song to daydream: "Spanish Key" by Miles Davis (yes, I spend long periods of time daydreaming)
When it rains: “Riders on the Storm” by The Doors or “The Rain Song” by Led Zeppelin (yes really...I'm that original) 
When I’m driving: “When the Levee Breaks” by Led Zeppelin
Studying: “Aqueous Transmission” or “Cherry” by Ratatat

Sitting on the beach in the summer: “Into the Mystic” by Van Morrison or ANYTHING Jimmy Buffett
Remembering my grandmother: “Make Someone Happy” by Jimmy Durante
Happy for no reason: “The Lottery Song” by Harry Nilsson
Most romantic song of all time: “Unchained Melody” by The Righteous Brothers
To get myself out of a bad mood: “Maggie May” by Rod Stewart
Getting in the going out mood: “Get Down Tonight” by KC and the Sunshine Band
When I want to feel extra Southern: “Atlantic City” by The Band
When feeling foxy: “Stoned, pt. 1” by Lewis Taylor or “Red House” by Jimi Hendrix
Lusting over a crush: “La Femme d'Argent” by Air or “Us and Them” by Pink Floyd
In love: “Pennies From Heaven” by Billie Holiday
Best hip/hop: “Ghetto Cowboy” by Bone Thugz & Harmony
Feeling sentimental: “Hello It's Me” by Todd Rundgren
Song I want in a movie about my life: “Don't Let It Bring You Down” by Annie Lennox
Best song to play at a party: “Shout!” by Isley Brothers (I go to Faber College...)
Reminiscing about my childhood: “Wild World” by Cat Stevens and “Until You Come Back to Me” by Aretha Franklin
Feeling sad: “Dear Chicago” by Ryan Adams and “Colors” by Amos Lee
When thinking about high school: “St. Steven” by The Grateful Dead or “Porch Song” by Widespread
Best song to sing on a long road trip with friends: “I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing” by Aerosmith & “Tiny Dancer” by Elton John (exaggerating all the end syllables) (yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah)
Best duet: “Ain’t No Sunshine” by Buddy Guy &Tracy Chapman
Falling in love: “1963” by Rachel Yamagata or “Why Can't I Forget About You” by The Subdudes
Feeling grateful: “Watching The Wheels” by John Lennon
When I’m writing: “In A Sentimental Mood” by John Coltrane or Miles Davis’s album “Kind of Blue”
Sexiest song of all time: “Closer” by Kings of Leon (HA did you actually think I would switch that one?)
Best break-up song: "I Wish You Well" by Bill Withers
Feeling spiritual: “Inner City Blue” by Marvin Gaye or “Ave Maria”
Best chick rock: "Gypsy" by Fleetwood Mac (if you can even call it chick rock...just empowering to me as a woman for some reason)
Makes me think of my mom: "Itsy Bitsy Spider" by Carly Simon (This always makes me cry immediately? Like now...)
First dance at my wedding: “Makin' Whoopie" by Dr. John & Rickie Lee Jones (also best duet)
Pissed off: "One Way Out" by The Allman Brothers or "Ask Your Friends" by Pretty Lights
When I want to say "F you" to someone: "Money Can't Buy It" by Annie Lennox
At the end of a long night: "Use Me" Bill Withers (or covered by Fiona Apple) or "Such A Night" by Dr. John Anthem of summer: "Summertime" by Booker T and The MGs or "...,Money, Weed" by Lil Wayne (sorry Mom)
Favorite songs to sing: any Bob Dylan song, "Stand By Your Man" by Tammy Wynette (um yeah) or “Revelry” by Kings of Leon
Song to fall asleep to: "I Will Sing You Songs" by My Morning Jacket
When I want to resurrect my angsty junior high days: "One Angry Dwarf" and "Song for the Dumped" by Ben Folds Five or the entire "Music" album by 311
Best Bluegrass: "Real Love" by Railroad Earth or this one unknown 12-minute jam by North Mississippi All-Stars I have on my ipod from high school (play count according to iTunes: 108)
When i’m in a weird mood: "Lenny" by Stevie Ray Vaughn



No comments:

Post a Comment