Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Year's Day is TODAY

Today is my New Year's Day.  While I won't be eating any cabbage or black eyed peas, I will be instating my resolutions for 2011.  A lot will change this year, and I need to brace myself.

One thing I'll be doing every (week) day is posting.  I suppose my field of study seems irrelevant to the journalism folks, however, someone told me that I needed to figure out exactly what I want to do every single day for the rest of my life.  "To write" is what I landed on, and now I just have to get there.  I'm a news junkie and beyond that, absorbing the meaning and symbolism and rhetoric and reason of everything is what my days are based on.  Now I have to figure out how to write about those things, how to write relevantly, and most importantly, to entertain.

I also need to listen to something besides the soundtrack to Country Strong.  Country music isn't even my thing, at all...AT ALL.  I guess I'm a sucker for good lyrics and honest melodies.  Honesty is my policy with music. (In every other aspect of life, I'm a liar.)  Music must tell me something, make me understand what the artist is feeling, and then feel that way as well.  Perhaps this roots my passion for all things blues and soul.  I love music that forces me to make a fist and grit my teeth, songs that can flip my mood almost instantly - whether good or bad...if the music is good, I don't mind feeling like I've just been cheated on.  Music is the reason I've been convinced of being in love (before now, sigh of relief) as well as the route I've taken to fall out of love, real or false.  I think if I heard Country Strong's "Give In to Me" and wasn't in love, I'd fall in love with anyone.  It has that strong of an effect.  My favorite line is:

"I'm gonna start a fire, you're gonna feel the heat
I'm gonna burn for you, you're gonna melt for me."

So much for the second part of my resolution...

No comments:

Post a Comment